This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of PEOPLE®, Real Simple®, and Southern Living®. The opinions and text are all mine own.
Now that the dog days of summer are in full swing I like to take at least one day a week and have an afternoon dedicated to some valuable me time. While I was shopping at Kroger, I decided to pick up the latest issue of PEOPLE magazine and plan out how I will take some time to myself this summer. I also spotted the latest editions of Real Simple, Southern Living, and PEOPLE Diana Her Life and Legacy. I will have to pick up those soon! I honestly haven’t taken much time to myself over the past few months and wanted to plan out some activities that I can enjoy before the weather changes and summer ends. Here are a few activities that I plan on doing this summer as a way to relax.
- I love to paint my nails and give myself a manicure and pedicure, and then I read PEOPLE magazine while I wait for my nails to dry. I always get impatient when I paint my nails and find reading a magazine helps me relax and not get distracted about waiting for my nails to dry. You have no idea how many times I have tried to paint my nails and then get distracted while they are drying and completely ruin them. I find browsing through the entirety of PEOPLE magazine while talking on the phone to a girlfriend allows them to dry perfectly.
2. I have only been to the beach twice this summer, but whenever I go to the beach or the lake for the day, I always make sure to bring my favourite magazines to read while I sun bathe under my umbrella. I always get bored just lying there, so I like to have something to read and usually get too distracted to dive into a long novel. That is why reading PEOPLE magazine is my guilty pleasure beach read.
3. I used to paint and draw all the time especially when I was in art school. I find that blogging has become my primary creative outlet. I don’t have enough time to dive into any major art projects hence why I enjoy adult colouring books. I find them to be very relaxing and low commitment especially when you are busy. I like to open up my colouring book at least once a week and slowly complete one page at a time, and I find it very rewarding to see the finished image. I sometimes struggle with colour combinations and often use the fashion editorials in PEOPLE magazine as a source of inspiration. I like to draw in fashion related colouring books and like to incorporate the latest trending colours into my drawings.
4. Since the weather is always nice where I live in the summer, it seems like a shame to leave, so I often like to have a staycation where I travel somewhere close like Vancouver or go up the island. I find the ferry ride over to Vancouver a little tedious especially when you have done it thousands of times and find that reading a magazine helps me to kill time and relax while I am travelling.
5. One of my favourite things to do in the summer is to sit outside on a beautiful evening and drink a refreshing summer cocktail while reading PEOPLE magazine. I always feel guilty staying inside on those beautiful summer nights and find just sitting outside reading my magazine while watching the sunset to be so relaxing and therapeutic.
You can visit your local participating Kroger, Bakers, City Market, Dillions, Food 4 Less, Fred Meyer, Fry’s Food & Drug, Gerbes, Jay C, King Soopers, Owens, Pay Less, QFC, Ralph’s or Smith’s to receive $1.00 off 1 PEOPLE. Real Simple, Southern Living, or PEOPLE Princess Diana: Twenty Years Later Magazine.