Hello lovelies, today I am sharing a brief history of women’s fashion in the 1930s showcasing key style elements that were popular in the decade. I found all of my 1930s inspired looks from Unique Vintage and was able to curate a few outfits based on the key style elements that were popular in the 1930s. While I was researching this video, I happen to find an authentic 1930s dress from the thrift shop. I was so shocked that I found it because it is so incredibly old, and the odds of finding one are slim to none. I know that it is an authentic 1930s dress because of the large oversized sailor style of collar and natural fitted waistline. Below are some ket style elements from the 1930s that you can apply to most modern-day fashions to create a 1930s fashion look.
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram and say hello:) https://instagram.com/laurajaneatelier/
1930s Fashion Trends
- Dresses and skirts were midi lengths falling mid-calf.
- Evening gowns were floor-length and bias cut, think of the classic old Hollywood backless evening gowns still popular on the red carpet today.
- Waistlines were at the natural waist and often belted.
- Collars were oversized, or shirts had a large yoke. A sailor-style collar was also popular in the 1930s.
- The shoulders were exaggerated with puff sleeves, butterfly sleeves, and caplets which made the waist look smaller,
- Actresses like Greta Garbo made pants popular, and the high waisted sailor pant and wide-leg beach pajamas were also popular.
- Large fur collars on winter coats were popular among the wealthy.
- Oxford shoes and evening t-Strap sandals were popular.